Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Fight of My Life

Standing in the middle of the boxing ring..mouth guard in, hands taped, gloves on, oh and it’s pitch black. I’m blindfolded. I can feel the presence of someone or something. Every step forward or back only brings uncertainty. Should I run? I can’t see. What if I stumble? What if I’m pinned against the ropes? There is no time to go over scenarios in my mind.  The air is displaced as who or what moves closer and steps back. The fear is paralyzing.  I hear the swing of a gloved fist, as I move left my jaw is met with a direct blow. I can taste the blood in my mouth.  I put myself here. I stepped into the ring. I placed the blindfold on years ago. Bloodied, battered, bruised but never broken. I may not be declared the winner but I will survive.. head held high and better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment