Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Patience, Yeah Whatever!

Patience is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without acting on annoyance/anger in a negative way; or exhibiting forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties. Patience is the level of endurance one's character can take before negativity. It is also used to refer to the character trait of being steadfast.


We tell our children constantly to be patient.  " Please be patient.  Good things come to those who wait."  On the other hand when they won't do or act according to our plan we blurt, "You are testing my patience!"  I have been faced with the issue of patience lately, in almost all aspects of my life.  As I looked again at the definition of patience I realized, this is NO easy task.  I think it comes from unreasonable expectations, which I admit I have about almost everything.  I expect things to happen on my schedule.  I want results, reactions, redemption, and sometimes revenge instantaneously.  I know in my squirrely head that this is not right, that these things will not happen on my time line or maybe ever.  But without a doubt I let these expectations run my life.  I get angry, frustrated, incensed....when I can't get an answer, finish a project or make other people have unreasonable expectations to match mine!  I guess I need to redefine my expectations in order to wrap my head around the idea of true patience. 

Patience is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances.  

Are my daily circumstances really difficult, no...Do I have situations in my life that truly require patience, of course.  This all falls back to a little cliche....I know, I love these.....Let Go and Let God.  So for today I will take a deep breath and practice patience where it is needed and you know what I'll do with the rest of it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment