Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Shoot out at the OK Corral" or "You think I'm Old Enough To Qualify for the Senior Discount??!!"

There is nothing more affirming than the unbiased opinion of a young stranger manning the checkout at your local grocery.  I have an unrealistic image of myself.  I know how old I am, I know what size I wear, and my glasses prescription.  When I get dressed in the morning, gussy up my hair and make-up, and tilt my head to the side while looking in the mirror...I see who I want to see.  Who is apparently someone completely foreign to the rest of the general public.  I see a well put together, middle age , confident, happy (most of the time) person.  I do, occasionally, catch a glimpse of a really overweight, frumpy, frazzled and disheveled older woman in desperate need of a wardrobe make-over and cosmetic surgery following me.  I look over my shoulder in the reflection of the glass in a store window.  There she is! She is definitely stalking me...  I am convinced that "she" isn't me, or well, I was...Until a few weeks ago.  I went to the grocery with my happy attitude and cute "flattering" ensemble.  I made my way through the store smiling at strangers, making small talk with clerks.  Then it happened...The most unspeakable event in my life thus far.  At the check out counter after I put in my frequent shopper number and got ready to swipe my credit card for payment I nearly collapsed, which doesn't help my case, being the happy, jazzy, middle aged mom.  The unassuming clerk made a, horrifying to me, assumption...He gave me the Super Senior Discount!!!  He didn't ask , are you 55?  No he just hit the, She is OBVIOUSLY old enough for the discount key.  Mouth dry, ears ringing, and heart racing I swiped my card graciously accepting the receipt, and walked at a faster than normal pace out of the store...I am 46, 46!!!! 
  So thank you, young, store clerk for giving me more resolve than I've had in years.  I have given up sweets, and fried snacks. I am changing up my every day outfits, wearing more lipstick and  I'm working my apparently older than I think I look,  tush off every day.  
We will meet again!!!   
Next time, by summer's end, I will be asked if I'm old enough to have college aged children, because I OBVIOUSLY don't look old enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment