Sunday, July 10, 2011

Boot the Trike!

Recently I was reminiscing with some friends about rules imposed on us as youth  by our parents.  Here is one doosey of a story.  All true, and the kicker is my parents strong sense of justice.

I was 4 years old.  We lived in a pretty busy suburb.  I had rules to follow that were straight forward, simple and always enforced.  It was a summer afternoon.  My mom had appointments to keep and so I headed down to the end of my block for a play date with a little boy named John.  His mom was "taking a nap" at 11:00am, I'm to this day convinced she had been nipping at a bottle of jack or something of the sort.  We played in his yard and then made our way inside.  We were playing with toys unsupervised in his bedroom when I spotted a large silver piggy bank.  I asked what was in the bank, shaking it near my ear.  He proclaimed, "My money, from being baptized!!"  "Can I see it?" I begged.  He opened the bottom and poured the contents out onto his bed.  There were savings bonds, coins and several bills.  One in particular intrigued me.  I had never seen a 50 dollar bill before.  I then proposed a shopping spree, like any savvy girl would do.   We lived about 2 and 1/2 miles from a Smitty's Shopping Store.  This was like a Target Great-land or Super Walmart in our neighborhood.  Groceries, sundries, clothing, toys and more.....so much more!!  I suggested we take our trikes and some of "his" money and buy wonderful things. I mean, it WAS his money he should be able to spend it however he wanted to..right??  I guess I inherited my powers of persuasion from my father, the attorney.  He thought about it and before anyone was the wiser we were off.  We rode our trikes across a busy street that anchored our neighborhood and rode the 2 and 1/2 miles in over 100 degree temperatures to Smitty's.  We didn't have things like water bottles back then so we stopped once and drank from a neighbors hose.  Remember how good that water tasted??  I don't recall how long it took us to get there but I remember where we headed next.  The Brach's candy display.  We filled what seemed like large bags full of our favorite treats.  We then went to the candy and hot nut counter to pay ordering Icee's as well.  When John handed the woman the 50 she asked, "Where is your mother?"  John replied without breaking a sweat, "Over there?", pointing in the direction of the produce. Wow I was amazed at his ability to fib.  She believed him and off we went shopping playing and spending.  We finally decided we would get a handful of coins to ride the mechanical merry go round out front before our trek home.  When we arrived back at his house, I still do not know how we got there and back at age four without getting lost or abducted,  we sat on his front porch and played with the loot.  His mother still "sleeping" at least 2 to 3 hours later.  His dad got home from work and asked John who gave him permission to have the toys and candy.  He, unflinching, said "Mom did."  Then his mother appeared, bleary eyed, and said, "John, WHO said you could have this candy and these toys?  Again, stealthily he replied,"Dad did."  This is where it all unravels.  Still playing outside in front I see in the distance, my parents.  Not quite running but sort of speed walking arm in arm speaking sharply to one another as they approach me.  After a brief discussion with Johns parents, my mom and dad send me home saying the dreaded words, "We will deal with you later!"  I marched home bag of candy in tow.  I awaited my fate.  When my parents arrived they swatted my behind, yes parents spanked their children back then, and told me I broke a rule.  I crossed Oak Street without an adult.  That was it?  No lecture about Smitty's, candy or toys?  No.  They had never told me I couldn't go to Smitty's.  Crossing the street was my only offense.  Of course after that, they realized the rules needed to encompass more.  I also was never allowed to play with John again.  Not because he wasn't a nice kid but because he was never really supervised by his own parents.  I think, although my parents never said anything , they were quite impressed with my ability to plan and execute such a clever adventure. 


*The title of this blog was provided by my dear friend Lauren, who thought it would have been a good idea to "boot my trike" after such a wild escapade! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Your brother sent me over to read this story! Love it! I can see the whole thing in my mind like a trailer to one of those flash back movies!

    ReplyDelete