Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Why do infomercials seem like a great idea only in the middle of the night?

It's 1:30 am.  I can't sleep.  I have to save the world and my problem solving strategies are making my heart race.  My brain cannot rest,  therefore I cannot rest.  So, I do what every average "middle of the night supermom" does.  I seek help via cable TV.  It is absolutely astounding how many problem solving, life changing, miracle producing items you can find between the hours of 1 and 4 am.   As I scan the channels in an almost coma like trance. I am fixated on a particularly fascinating item.  It's called the "Ahh Bra"  No hooks, no wires and an amazing 4 way stretch.  How can this be?  The testimonials are riveting, the transformations unbelievable.  These women no longer have side spillage, yes, they use that term.  No visible back fat!  I want this thing!!!  Wait! It does even more!  It lifts, separates and makes you look ten years younger.  Who need to diet?  Plastic surgery?  Why?  When this super bra can do it all for you.  My palms sweat, I reach for my purse, and then something comes over me.  I resist the temptation of the Wonder Woman producing glorified sports bra but not before I get sucked into another product one channel below.  Yes, I admit, at 1:30 am I am very vulnerable to the carnival, snake oil, salesman type lurking about on many stations.  I have yet to succumb to the hypnotic rantings, and seductive descriptions of Easy Feet, Pajama Jeans and Perfect Meatloaf....But as soon as the sun goes down, my mind begins to race, and solving the world's problems is at hand,  the allure of the infomercial will once again be beckoning me.

1 comment: