Monday, July 25, 2011

Dinner and a show?

I admit that I am less of a mediator/parent and more of a referee/parent.  My style is to sit back watch the escalating match of words between three bright sometimes too articulate daughters.   If there is blood drawn, or low punches are thrown I will don my black and white jersey blow my whistle and yell foul.  When you think of fights between siblings you might think of slapping, hitting  a little name calling and crying.  Watching an altercation between my girls is like riding California Screamin' at Disneyland's  California Adventure.  Fast, and furious, your emotions teeter between laughter and terror.  Even though these debates, that's putting it lightly, are a regular occurrence, my girls are actually very close friends. The gloves come on, the bell sounds, the fight ensues and then when it's done...it's done.  My husband retreats at the onset.  He doesn't understand, he wants to step in.  He would like a meeting to convene like the U.N. of sisterhood and have them respectfully, calmly, QUIETLY work out the problem de jour.  Not happening!  There is screaming,  there is occasionally pushing, but, there is always cruel articulation of how they really feel.  Feelings are hurt, tears are shed, gratefully, apologies are inevitable.  You will never find three sisters who can fight against and for each other as fiercely as these.  In the past several years there has been an added element in the sisterly arena of battle.  Her name is Hannah Cobley.  The daughter of a very close friend, or I should say, their friendship started first.  Hannah is nicely placed exactly 2 years in between my middle and youngest daughters.  Because of this I have always referred to her as my missing link.  She has been a dear friend to both Allie and Mary, and a loving annoyance to my oldest daughter Katie.  As the friendship grew, the more often we invited Hannah to join us on weekend trips and sleepovers, the more comfortable she became.  Hannah has not only been privy to watching the sister fights but more than occasionally she has been a real part of them.  Fights between these girls have been long and often times hurtful and down right ugly.  But as the true sisters they are, they love as hard as they fight.  Hannah once said after coming over for an impromptu dinner when a sister fight loomed near, "I didn't know there would be dinner and a show".  We all laughed so hard I can't remember what they were fighting about.  Well, now it's time for Hannah's Outcalt sisters to fight with Hannah on a different battle field.  Hannah has been diagnosed with Leukemia.  Her prognosis is great.  She and her family are ready for this war.  I want to let Hannah know, on no uncertain terms, that this isn't just her fight.  She has three more sisters who are armor clad and battle ready.  So, Leukemia, you better watch out, Hannah knows first hand how powerful Oucalt sister fights can be....Bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Wow....I love how articulate you are! What wonderful vignette! I love you, Bethanne....you are one amazing woman! Hannah is lucky to be surrounded by such strong and LOVING friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said. You brought tears to my eyes and laughter to my heart. You have a wonderful gift, Bethanne.

    ReplyDelete